How Did I Know About Independence?

I published this piece on the 16th of September 2019, on Facebook to commemorate the very special day on which Papua New Guinea Got Independence from its colonizer - Australia. Today I decided to publish it again on my blog to have it kept in my blog archive. I know you have your own story of when and how you understood about the independence. Write your own story and be grateful that you're independent. God Bless the Reader, God Bless PNG. 

This smile is satirical somewhat yet agitating. It’s clumsy. My head hangs on an entirely embarrassed body. You don’t simply grasp how it touches when you look back at your silly moments, do you? This day reminds me of my past.

Did they know; did their parents tell them? How could those kids of my age talk about it? I was muddled. It’s gotten tensed. Artworks stood emblematic, the atmosphere there was utterly lively. Enthralling melodies jingled through the airwaves. Blues and gloom faded. The chanting whistles of encircling hilltops swiftly stretched across the eventful valleys.

It seemed everyone knew about the big man coming. Those brassy yet speckled sounds of tryouts kept beating. Poor village mothers couldn’t hold it any longer. It was the situation that prompted the unveiling. The exposer of covertly distinctive grass skirts and pinafore, face paints and birds’ feathers and traditional oil has all been warranted for. The customary cache stirred out of captivity to celebrate the big man. How could walls be resilient in the eve of revel? It wasn’t so possible.
I gathered my hearing to grab a trace of the big man. I tried if anyone could tell me who was coming. I looked for; or asked; even I strapped through to several throngs, yet to no avail. My curiosity grew tenser. I couldn’t rest until I’ve found who the big man was.

“Who is the big man coming tomorrow, Mom? People talking about him everywhere” I broke in on my mom’s assiduity. I assumed she would tell me. I’ve asked every other person whom I had my chances. I had no one else to ask further from here. Unfortunately however, even she was reluctant. She’s on a flurry in fact. It was obvious; my mom didn’t want to miss the Tug War (Rope Pulling) trials. “If I had let her gone I would miss my opportunity” as I thought. Mom was my sole chance to know who the big man was. I persisted, until finally Mom broke in, “it’s not who but it’s what!” “Did you know that my team’s going for a tug war tomorrow? It’s the Inipenend De.”

“Inipenend De? What is Inipenend De, Mom? Is it a big man, or a big vehicle or anything like a big plane? What’s the color of the Inpenend De? Where is the Inipenend De coming from?” Those inquisitive radiations of multifold questions appeared irresistible, of which made Mom a bit regretful for making mention of the Inipenend De.

She made references to Australia and Papua New Guinea of some things the two countries did in her enlightenment. I don’t know if she did it better. But, she tried without hesitation. My petite crown never stood a chance though. She never cared. And she added “in your other days and weeks and months, you toil and get busy in whatsoever your doings. But never forget that I told you this; 16th September of every year is a day of celebration; it is the Inipenend De. Sit down, rest, celebrate and remember that I told this!”
 
She actually meant “Independence Day,” I understand that. I understand why how she did what she did now. I mean in her pronunciation of the Independence Day.  But what does it matter now? It’s the knowledge of what independence is. At least she tried, I understand that. 

So, it was my poor mom who explained what INDEPENDENCE is to me before the books did. THANK YOU SO MUCH MOM. THOUGH I MAYBE DEPENDENT ON MANY THINGS THAT I CAN'T PROVIDE FOR MYSELF, I KNOW THE MEANING OF INDEPENDENCE & GREATLY I FEEL THAT I’M INDEPENDENT. 

Let me be reminded forever of my poor mom and the Independence Day of this beautiful nation that I call 'my place - PNG' by the flying wings of its beautiful bird of paradise on that flag. MAY GOD BLESS PNG!

The Flag of Papua New Guinea (PNG) - Designed by Susan KARIKE (Adopted in 1st July 1971)




 Passion & Commitment of the blogger - YokAlip Kyak.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOME ATTITUDES NEED TO BE CORRECTED IN A DIFFERENT WAY! NOT ALWAYS BY TELLING THEM!

PLESS MAN: Did that Really Make Me a Pless MAN?

I Never Said Good Luck so You Could Come Back & Have it Tried on Me!