Thursday, February 27, 2020

PLESS MAN: Did that Really Make Me a Pless MAN?

What is PLESS MAN?

Most Papua New Gunieans use the expression ‘Pless Man' - it's a PNG-Pidgin phrase used too often to express our feelings, especially when we are sympathetic of or to criticize another person of his/her conditions or appearance. Literally, it means a ‘Village Man,' but it is completely different how we use it and what we mean most often. Figuratively I would say it means primitive/illiterate/stupid/foolish/etc. The situation at which or that prompts the expression to be used determines its connotation. I had an encounter at Mt. Hagen Airport a few months ago in which the phrase was used on me by some beautiful ladies - I was called a Pless Man.  

I don't know if I was really that rushing. Something terrible happened. I had about thirty (30) minutes to board for my flight to return to POM after attending my dad's funeral. It was in July, 2019 at Mt. Hagen Ples Balus. 
I walked passed these girls after I've checked in. They were three of them and each had what you call the ‘beauty' - they looked amazing. They seemed very busy telling stories too. One of them was even affixed to her phone. None of them cared I was even there, though they saw me. 

Well, I didn't want to know what they were doing too. I was also busy on my way to the boarding room. As I walked down that fine corridor, cramped with silken glass walls reflecting my image all through, it was hectic. I had my both jacket pockets jam-packed with fresh mandarins from the nearby Airport Market. On either sides of my hands were bundles of fresh peanuts, with my boarding pass struggling through to have a space within.  

Trying to manage rubbish was a burden, but that beauty accompanied by murmuring on the lips of those three beautiful ladies, with their eyes focused on me seemed a greatest burden. I couldn't bear it; I was nervous. I'm good at being nervous too, but this was worse than ever. I wished for an isolated alleyway to the boarding room, but to no avail. 

There was none. Ahead of them were two fine gentlemen. They were in full uniforms and be honest they looked professionals than the ladies. Their appearances conveyed a welcoming impression. They were the guys as I thought. I aimed to see the gentlemen to have my access to the boarding room. Those ladies, I never even cared; I mean why would I when they seemed busy on other stuffs and looked ordinary?

After I have walked passed a few meters ahead of the girls, one of them shouted. I didn't know whom she was referring to. I just turned around to see who else was there behind or beside me. “You! I'm referring to you” she yelled in English while her hand and the eyes of her other friends gripped on me. I gently took steps back towards the girls, yet looking confused. “First Time Oh (first timer?),” murmured the one that looked a bit taller than the others. 

Actually it was a good question she asked. I mean any one could have asked that question if it seemed I may have skipped something. However, how she sounded accompanied by her graceless looks felt utterly different. I was just about two meters away from them, yet I had nothing to say. I took further steps in towards the ladies.  As I was nearing, the third lady; she looked prettier than the other two, was even closer to my age; she added saying “Pless Man Nabaut!” then she looked away gently with murmuring on her lips. 

“Oh really?! What did I do to deserve that? Was she talking about me? Or was there anyone else beside me?” I stood defenselessly and confused before the ladies. I could feel me knees trembling too and sweat oozing out of my body everywhere. She sounded so rude and it penetrated my ears so piercingly. It truly nailed me down! That yummy flavor of fresh mandarins faded the same instant turned into a hot sour. As my intuition reminded later, I was attacked in my confusion.

“You gat ticket blo you stap ah? (you got your ticket with you?)” the one first yelled asked.  I just nodded aimlessly to mean yes, but I was still blank. She snatched the ticket off my hand and glanced through it. Now, this had no single impact on me as I was already confused. “What's your scheduled flight time?” she further asked. “04:45.” “Really?” she said with so much wonder. No wonder I said it was 04:45pm. Like I said I was already confused. My actual flight time was 02:45pm. Not 04:45pm. At 04:45PM I was supposed to arrive at Port Moresby Jackson's Airport. 

You know they were three, I was one. They had the support of the place, I had nothing. They seemed beautiful; I was just way below their feet. They talked with full confidence, well I was shaking. I mean truly I was shaking. I don't know if it was to their affirmations, I returned from home. I looked terrible. I had the real color of home on me displayed through my cloths, shoe, all full of dirt. They may have taken advantage over my shit looks; who knew? 

The one that called me ‘Pless Man', she was so annoying. She repeated it for the second time after she realized I called out a wrong flight time. I was really offended. Her words just crushed me completely“Pless Man! 04:45 is not your departure time. Lukluk na save lo ol samting na raun lo balus (Village Man, see and understand things properly and travel around in plane” was what she added. Oh man, she sounded so rude. 

I don't know how I even got my boarding pass back. I walked down the corridor thinking all through. “What did they mean by calling me Pless Man? I'm not a Pless Man! Or was it because I looked terrible?” I asked so many questions to myself. I was hurt, so brushed emotionally. 
“Hay stupid boy?” said someone who just showed up from nowhere. “Are you worried because of what those stupid ladies said? Turn around and say something! Return their words before you go!” continued the concealed person. He was so close to me too as it felt. I could hear his words very clearly, yet I couldn't see him. He just convincingly embedded that sharp voice into my mind. He kept reminding me. I really couldn't control him. 

“Who do you think you are? Are you really the one those girls said you are? Who is that Pless Man they  referred to? You're not a Pless Man. Turn back! Boy turn back and say something to the girls!” Wow, he was so rushing. He talked too fast. I could even feel his fast breaths on my chest. He wanted me to take that revenge. I don't know if this is the same other people experience? He just impeccably sounded someone in Sahara desert who rushing for a cup of water to quench his thirst. 

I had a sudden pause at the access strip. That continuous reminder of the rough voice made me, obviously to return and either punch one of the ladies or just say a rude word in return. I now decided to turn around and take my revenge. I was just ready. I knew what I would say. The words were right at the tip of my tongue. I was right at the verge of throwing myself thoughtlessly. 

Right through the eagerness for revenge however, I could hear another voice, a different voice all together. It was so low and soft unlike the previous one. That person asked me to look at/around myself instead of the ladies. “See how badly the words of the girls have deformed you. Can you identify one single part of you that has been deformed by the tirade of the ladies?” he asked me.

I looked around to see if I can identify one but to no avail. I just couldn't identify one. “See, you cannot identify one because simply it has done nothing to you. You have just been troubled because you didn't take their words appropriately” said the new voice. He wanted me to go ahead on to the boarding room and just go away without saying a single word. So I did and later realized it was a good thing I did. 

MORAL: The question asked earlier is; “Did that Really Make Me a Pless MAN?” Simply the answer is NO! Even if I'm a Pless Man already, it's not because those beautiful ladies said it. People use terms and phrases or even long sentences and paragraphs to express their feelings of anger, annoyance, and frustration, or when they want to hurt someone's feelings. But the unalterable fact therein is; you don't become who or what they say you are. It does not happen! You are who you make yourself become. Habitually people swear because they think it is smart or funny. Or sometimes they make fun of other people with tirade because it entertains them. Just don't be hooked up to it so quickly. There is a saying that goes; "the silent defeats the outburst." Keep quiet and be watchful. See what's happening around you, within your capacity and learn. The world is full of stuffs/happenings that will teach you great lessons. 

Thanks for your reading reader. MAY THE GOOD LORD BLESS!


Passion & Commitment of the blogger - Kolly ALANGE

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having the courage to respond to that still, small voice is the greatest courage of all. That's my take on this.
    Thanks for the wonderful story shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels great to hear such great compliment. I really appreciate that.

      Delete

How Did I Know About Independence?

I published this piece on the 16th of September 2019, on Facebook  to commemorate the very special  day on which Papua New Guinea Got Indepe...